1. I believe watching TV is____ listening to radio.
A. so good or better than B. like good or better than
C. as good as or better than D. as good as or better
2. The effect of the medicine,____ we had expected, was quite encouraging.
A. which B. that C. as D. what
3. “Would you send this message to Prof. Wilson?”“Sure,____him about something else in any case, so there won’t be any bother at all.”
A. I’ll see B. I see C. I’ll be seeing D. I may see
4. I have no choice then but ____the work.
A. finished B. to finish C. finish D. finishing
5. “During last decade, there have been many changes in family life.”“Are these changes ____?”
A. for the good or for the bad
B. for the worse or for the better
C. for worse or for better
D. for the worst or for the best
6. James was born in London____May 7, 1912 ____:1____the morning.
A. on/at/in B. in/at/in C. in/at/on D. on/by/in
7. Is it important that he____ his education in all ways?
A. develop B. develops
C. will develop D. developed
8. Can you introduce the girl____ the right to me?
A. in B. at C. on D. of
9. A sneeze cannot be performed voluntarily,____ be easily suppressed.A. nor it can B. it can not
C. nor can it D. cannot it
10. He is still not here, he____.
A. may miss his plane B. could miss his plane
C. should have missed his plane
D. may have missed his plane
11. I do not doubt____ he will appear soon.
A. that B. whether C. if D. whatever
12. All substances,____, liquid or solid, are made up of atoms.
A. be they gases B. whether they are gases
C. they are gases D. they can be gases
13. Only in recent years____ begun to realize the importance of Internet.A. people have B. have people
C. that people have D. since have people
14. He was ____by the police with breaking the law.
A. charged B. accused C. captured D. sentenced
15. Some people do not show much____ in their choice of food.
A. discrimination B. recognition C. admission D. indecision
16. They are bending with great ____ over the computer.
A. attempt B. concentration C. tolerance D. devotion
17. The new evidence threw some light____ the case.
A. in B. to C. at D. on
18. The student was disappointed____ the prize awarded by the school.A. in B. with C. at D. to
19. I would ____ you not to involve in this matter.
A. council B. counsel C. declare D. console
20. The ever-lasting inflation caused the rising of the living____.
A. cost B. expense C. price D. value
21. He has to____ his mean salary by living economically.
A. onset B. outset C. offset D. outlet
22. “How could you buy the whole flat?”“I bought it ____account.”
A. with B. in C. at D. on
23.The brave soldiers____ the attacking invaders.
A. rejected B. repelled C. compelled D. rebelled
24. All living things must,____ reason of physiological limitations, die.
A. on B. to C. by D. for
25. You should____ your room now and then to keep it supplied with fresh air.
A. ventilate B. versatile C. verify D. versify