You probably know you should say “please” and “thank you” at restaurants. You probably know the rules of a library. You know you should respect and be nice to your classmates. But do you have music manners?
Keep It Down! You have to notice the volume of your music. You should not play your music so loud that everyone around you can hear it. Some people might even get angry. Usually, when you play the music loud on an MP3 player, other people can’t hear the words of the song. They just hear a loud sound. No one wants to listen to this. Very loud music can also be bad for your ears. So even if you are alone when listening to our MP3 players, you shouldn’t turn it up too high.
Take Them Off! You need to know when to turn your MP3 off and put it away. Libraries, and schools don’t allow MP3 players. There are other places, like museums, that don’t have rules, but it would be rude to have your MP3 player on. Sometimes, it doesn’t make sense to listen on your MP3 player at event. Why would you listen to music at a play, a movie or a sporting event? You would miss what is going on and others would wonder why you even came.
Take One Out! Once in a while it’s okay just to take out one earphone and not other. Imagine you are listening on your MP3 player when someone asks you the way. It would not be rude to take out one earphone, tell him the way, and put back the earphone and continue listening. You can also do this when you order food at a fast-food restaurant or when you answer the telephone and it’s not for you.
It’s Your Choice! There are times when you need to decide what is best. F or example, some people can listen to music on their MP3 players when reading books, while others think it is disturbing. In cases like this, you need to do what seems right fo r you.
1. The underlined word “volume” in Paragraph Two probably means “_______”
A. the type of music
B. the amount of a sound
C. the length of a song
D. the colour of an MP3 player
2. No one wants to listen to _____________ from others’ MP3 players.
A. a loud sound B. sad stories
C. a long movie D. the words of a song
3. We should turn down the music when we are alone because loud music ________.
A. is not enjoyable
B. makes us tired
C. is bad for MP3 players
D. hurts our ears
4. If we listen to our MP3 player at a play, ______________________.
A. the theatre won’t allow it
B. the actors will get angry
C. others won’t hear the play well
D. we will miss part of the play
5. We can take one earphone out when we _______________________.
A. show others the way
B. talk to friends on the phone
C. watch a sporting event
D. have dinner with our parents
6. It’s all right to use our MP3 player in _________________.
A. school B. libraries
C. restaurants D. museums
7. What can be the best tit le of this pa ssage? _________________
A. Music lovers B. Music manners
C.MP3 players D. MP3 earphones
1. 答案：B 第二段第一行，因为要Keep it down!所以要注意音乐的音量。
2. 答案：A 第二段第四行中They just hear a loud sound. No one wants to listen to this.
3. 答案：D 第二段第四行中Very loud music can also be bad for your ears.
4. 答案：D 第三段第四行第五行Why would you listen to music at a play, a movie or a sporting event? You would miss what is going on……
5. 答案：A 第四段中讲述了“问路”、点餐和接电话的的例子，所以选A。
6. 答案：C 因为前面几段中讲述了“在学校不允许”、“在博物馆、图书馆音量要调轻”、“在餐馆take one out”所以应该在餐馆可以用MP3 player。
7. 答案：B 从文章的内容来说是针对music manners给出四个tips，整体上不是很难，所以很容易能选出答案。