The great whales are among the most fascinating creatures which __1__have ever lived on the earth, and one of them, the blue whale, is the largest. People in ancient times thought whales as fearsome __2__monsters of the ocean depths. So to hunt a whale, when one occasionally swam toward shore, he was high adventure. People __3__found the adventure was rewarding, too, for the oil and meat fromone whale alone could heat and feed a village for a whole winter.
Whales resemble huge fish. They were referred by the ancients as __4__“great fish,” and any whale beaching along the coasts of England was designated “the King’s fish” because it automatically belonged to the Crown.
Ever since those early times, human have felt whales a sense of __5__wonder mixed with an intense desire to capture, slaughter, and exploit. Now the slaughter has reached alarming proportions. __6__Even though some species are protected by the regulations of the International Whaling Commission and theoretically all whalehunting is regulated, but the earth’s stock of whales is still being __7__depleted. In fact, some scientists worry that 100 years since now __8__ there may be no whales left. If this happens, mankind will be blame for removing from the earth forever a remarkable and __9__awe-inspiring creature that always fed man’s imagination and __10__ made the world a more exciting place
2. 在thought 后面加of，或者将thought 改为regarded。“think of A as B”，指“把A看作B”，为固定搭配。
3. 去掉he。这句话的主语是“to hunt a whale”，“to hunt a whale was high adventure”。中间的“when…”只是插入的状语从句。
4. 在referred后加to。“refer to A as B”只“把A称作B”，这句话的意思是“古人把鲸称作大鱼”。
5. 在felt 后加for。这句话实际的结构是“feel a sense of wonder for whales”指“对鲸怀有惊奇的感觉”，for引出对象。
7. 去掉but。前面已有“even though”，后面就不应该再用but。
8 .将since改为from。“100 years from now”指“从现在起100年后”since 只能用于完成时。
9. 在blame前加to。“be to blame for sth ”指“对某事应负责任”，为固定搭配。